Tuesday, October 25, 2011

This bitch is still in her 20s for a few more hours

Big year. I got married. I went back to Europe. I'm turning 30 tomorrow. I'm doing a self eval. It's big stuff. And as I sit in my (home) office, typing my last blog entry as a 20-something, I feel like I'm having a Doogie Howser moment. And then I realize that many who read this won't even know who I'm talking about, which is really sad since Doogie was the shit 20+ years ago. Oh jesus, I'm old. But seriously, it was good. Netflix it.

Anyway, every asshole has a blog now. And every asshole thinks you want to know what he/she has to say. So I don't presume that my words have any more meaning to you than theirs, but they mean something to me. The lesson I've learned in the past few days is that for far too long, I've made the mistake of writing and just really hoping someone out there would like it. But I should never have been writing for them. I should always write for me. Because at the end of the day, despite what some know-it-alls may tell you, it's all subjective anyway.

SO my big close as a 20-something blogger is this:
I've lived a lot of life in these 29 years. I've made a lot of really bad decisions that turned into really good stories (some of which I'll never tell!). I've  (oh my god, I seriously just paused while typing and cocked my head up toward the ceiling. DOOGIE ANYBODY???) had my heart broken and I've been unkind. I didn't appreciate the hard work it takes to get things and I didn't know how hard my parents worked just to give me an education. But if there's anything I've learned in these 29 years, it's that I don't have all the answers. I don't even have a fraction of the answers. But I do know that you have to do what makes you happy and you have to have the drive to swim upstream when that's the hardest possible row to hoe. The good stuff comes from work--that much I do know.

So I'll say goodnight and leave you with this:
Know that you have my most sincere gratitude for giving my words even a few moments of your life.

29 Out.

1 comment:

  1. agreed! you are an old timer and you should always and only write for yourself. ;)

    ReplyDelete